Friday 1 November 2013

Critical Reflection Draft

The essay process provided a platform for us to put to use the things that we have learnt in es1102 so far, such as thesis writing, getting information out of sources, in-text citation doing up a reference. Like all other essays, it also allowed us to practice our writing skills so as to improve the common mistakes in our usual write-ups, such as run-on sentences or grammatical errors.

The essay topic was on globalization, a very broad topic. To me, it was a good thing as it gave me the flexibility to choose something that I was more interested in to write on. This made the essay writing process less mundane and also provided more motivation to do the write-up. The difficult part of the essay was to source for reliable information that could support my stand. There were many factors to consider for the reliability or sources, like the source of information and also how current were the information. This process was something I had to get used to as I do not have much prior experience for sourcing of information as during my JC days, information was readily fed to us. Another difficult part of the essay was to make the conscientious effort to give credit to sources in out citation and references which I did not enjoy.

At least the essay process exposed me to the essentials of academic writing before I had to do my other written assignments thus have a better understanding of the requirements of academic writing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Chin Hwee, for your detailed but concise and clear reflection. I'm happy that you seem to appreciate the learning even with the work involved.

    Just a few minor language issues:

    1) ....how current were the information. >

    2) ....before I had to do my other written assignments thus have a better understanding ... >

    Otherwise, this is a job well done.

    ReplyDelete